Choosing safe tent heaters for camping should not be too hard if you are determined to camp in fall and winter. If you love camping, you know that there is camping, and then there is winter camping. The latter is incredibly beautiful. All that white snow, having the camping site almost to yourself as most people do not go camping during the cold season.
Of course, you could always buy a three-season tent that is rated for extreme temperatures, but then, that would not sufficiently keep you warm. You need to buy a tent heater for camping. If you are like me, and you do not missing an outdoor rendezvous because of nature, well, find a way to beat it.
- 1 Sleeping pad is not enough to keep you warm
- 2 Mr. Heater F215100 MH4B
- 3 Camco 57331 Olympian Wave-3
- 4 Mr. Heater F232025 MH9BX Buddy
- 5 Texsport Portable Outdoor Propane Heater
- 6 TMS Military Tent Wood Stove
- 7 Coleman SportCat PerfecTemp Catalytic Heater
- 8 Lasko 754200 Ceramic Electric Heater
- 9 How to buy the best safe tent heaters for camping
- 10 Like this:
- 11 Related
Sleeping pad is not enough to keep you warm
You could also carry a sleeping pad and use it to insulate your sleeping bag. However, that too will not be enough. If you aim to keep the cold from reaching your bones, buy a winter tent heater. You can also use to heat a room at home.
The best tent heaters come in all shapes, sizes and styles. They also come at different prices. Whether you are on a slim or a big budget, you are going to get a heater to keep you warm during your cold camping season.
Here some of the best safe tent heaters for camping:
Mr. Heater F215100 MH4B
This is one of the best heaters for camping tents. It is very safe for indoor use. It is small, portable yet very effective. At the same time, it is a propane powered stove, so that means you will have to carry a propane tank with you. But not to worry because it will be worth the effort.
It can heat a big area, up to 95 square feet. This is thus the best choice for you if you are going camping as a family, perfect for big family tents.
You will be required to buy a disposable cylinder of Propane gas, mostly one pound in capacity. This one will have to be bought separately.
- Has 2 setting for heat amount – 4000 and 9000 BTU per hour
- Has automatic shut off for low oxygen
- Saves space when in storage thanks to foldable handle
- Has a wire guard for extra safety
- Automatic shut off should the carbon monoxide levels rise
- Small, compact and totally portable camping heater for tent
- Lets off small amounts of carbon monoxide
- Can’t be moved around when in use. Small bump will put it out
Camco 57331 Olympian Wave-3
This is a good looker, one of the best and safe camping heaters for tents. You will love that it can heat up a lot of room, say about 130 square feet. It is small and portable, and the range of heat production is amazing.
With a heat range of between 1600 BTU and 3000 BTU per hour, you can choose the most appropriate for your tent, RV or car. This lamp is rated for indoor use.
If you are looking for catalytic camping heaters for tent use, you will love that it can be mounted on the wall at home, or in your RV. However, if you are doing tent camping, then you will most probably have to set it on the floor somewhere.
This heater uses a HD-5 propane gas, and it produces a very comfortable heat wave that permeates the air inside the tent. The carbon monoxide levels are very low and it has an automatic shut off should there be a lot of carbon monoxide due to poor ventilation.
- Low fuel consumption – 1/8 pounds per hour on high heat setting
- Consumes 1/15 pounds of fuel per hour on low setting
- You can add leg stands to spread heat upwards
- Comes with 3 year warranty
- Has a high quality electric sparker that can last 20,000 uses
- Can be hung on the wall or set somewhere on the floor
- Silent heat
- Has low heat output even at high setting – 3000 BTU
- Not good for extreme winter camping
Mr. Heater F232025 MH9BX Buddy
Would you like to bring Mr. Heater F232025 MH9BX Buddy along for your camping vacation in winter? You will love the high heat output and you will agree that indeed, this is one of the safe heaters for camping.
Heat output is rated at between 4000 and 9000 BTU. It has very low, negligible emissions such that it is rated at almost 100% fuel burning efficiency.
This is not rated as one of the safest heaters for camping tents for nothing because it packs some safety features. For example, if it is tipped over, it will automatically shut off thereby eliminating the risk of a fire starting.
Like many of the Mr. Heater tent heaters, it connects to the propane tank by a swivel-out regulator. Propane tank is not included in the heater.
- It is compact and portable
- High heat output – up to 9000 BTU
- Very low carbon monoxide emission
- Can be used in wide living spaces – up to 200 square feet
- Sold with a warranty of one year
- Lasts a long time
- Very safe – shuts off if tipped
- Can be used at home and at campsite
- Doesn’t come with propane tank
- Should only be used in stable conditions – no golf carts or sail boats
Texsport Portable Outdoor Propane Heater
And you know what the best thing about it is? It uses both 16 oz and 14 oz disposable propane tanks. At the high heat setting, it can produce up to 3000 BTUs.
It comes with the basic safety features, but they work. For example, it will automatically shut off if it trips and falls over.
If the flame goes off, the fuel supply cuts out too. It is very stable on its “feet” and it is made of long-lasting material – copper with stainless steel finish.
- Good for heating a small cabin or tent
- Tent safe but with ventilation
- Large plastic base for stability
- Burner lasts long as it is made of stainless steel
- Light, easy to carry along
- Uses disposable one-pound propane bottles
- Has propane emissions – do not use where there is no ventilation
- Only heats a small area – less than 3000 BTUs
TMS Military Tent Wood Stove
Everything about this stove says it is indeed military, or better yet, Spartan. It is one of the safe tent heaters for camping.
However, it has some awesome features that you will not find in the other stoves.
Consider for example, the detachable side cooking tube where you can bake a potato or any other foil meal, just like using a camping stove, only much better. How awesome is that? Bring dry wood along.
- Has a spark arrester so that sparks do not burn your tent
- Has stove pipe vent so that it can be used in tent
- You can use the grate for drying out some personal items like socks
- Has high ground clearance – tent floor is safe
- Usable in areas where open camp fires are prohibited
- Spreads heat fast
- Very affordable
- Many people do not know how to use it
- Paint may peel off
Coleman SportCat PerfecTemp Catalytic Heater
The Coleman SportCat Perfec Temp is one of the best products that you could ever buy for your cold season camping experience.
It is perfect for a small, two or four-person camping tent as it produces 1500 BTU of heat.
It uses catalytic technology to produce a flameless heat that is not only safe, but is free of harmful emissions. It has a stable base to keep it standing perfectly still.
- Good for camping
- Small and compact
- Safe, flameless heat
- Very nice for a family camping tent
- Wide base to keep it stable
- Can heat up your tent for 14 hours using a 16 oz propane tank
- Covered by a limited warranty of 5 years
- Can be hard to start
- Doesn’t have automatic shut off when oxygen is low
Lasko 754200 Ceramic Electric Heater
It can be used in the enclosed spaces like small to medium-sized tents, garages, RVs and so on. It is the perfect camping companion during the cold season and you will be happy you brought it along. It can only be used when you are camping in a well-connected camping site.
It is an electric heater, so you will need electricity to run it. This could be hard when you are camping.
Depending on where you are going to use the heater, you can select the low heat setting, high or medium.
You will be happy to know that the Lasko 754200 heater has a thermostat that will control cut off the heat as soon as the set threshold is reached.
- It is electric
- It has a thermostat for safety
- Good for backyard camping
- Very safe
- Quiet operation – good for the bedroom
- Will increase your electricity bill
- Cannot be used in areas where there is no electric connection
How to buy the best safe tent heaters for camping
When you are looking for camping heaters for tents, you want to know a few very important things. Here are a few things to consider:
Safety – Tent camping can be delicate. Therefore when you are using a heater, you want to be sure that there is no spark generated that can light up the tent. If you fall asleep, will you sleep forever due to carbon monoxide asphyxiation? You need safe tent heaters for camping that incorporate safety features such that when the level of carbon monoxide rises in the tent, it can automatically shut off.
The amount of space you want to heat – This is another consideration. If you will camp in a big family tent like this one, you want a high BTU heater, say, at least 2500 BTUs. Smaller heaters may only be good for small tents.
The usability – Good electric heaters for camping tent should be easy to use. Just turn it on and you are good to go. However, the propane heaters can sometimes be quite something to set up. Some may also give high emissions and that is something that you would like to avoid. It should be easy to get started, and should give you a good number of hours of warmth from a 1-pound propane tank.
Source of power – Propane tent heaters are very popular, but they are not the only available options in the market. You want to know a few other things too. There are electric heaters, which can be connected to your car, and there are even wood heaters with spark arresters. Do not limit yourself.
Portability – This is the whole point about tent heaters for camping, isn’t it? If it is too heavy, then it is not worth buying. Make sure it has a foldable handle too so that you can transport it easily from the car to the tent and vice versa.
Versatility – If you are an ardent hiking or camping enthusiast, you want safe tent heaters for camping for all seasons. Thus, you will probably be looking for one that has settings for high, medium and low heat radiation.
Price – I usually consider this factor last because I believe it is better to pay more for more features than pay less for fewer features. Not to worry though, as there are safe camping heaters for tents for every budget.