Take your coffee with you and drink it piping hot many hours later. This is the joy of every traveler and outdoor enthusiast. It is like eating your cake and having it at the same time. Thanks to innovation and industry, we now have an answer to the question of which travel mug keeps drinks warm the longest.
There are many, you will be spoilt for choice. However, one thing that you will be looking forward to is a mug that will not only keep your coffee hot, but will not leak at all. Is there such a perfect mug? There are more than you think.
- 1 Thermos Stainless King Travel Tumbler
- 2 Hydro Flask Travel Mug Double Wall Vacuum
- 3 YETI Rambler Stainless Steel Travel Mug
- 4 Zojirushi SM-KHE48AG
- 5 Contigo AUTOSEAL Transit Travel Mug
- 6 Stanley Classic Travel Mug
- 7 Homitt 30 oz Travel Mug
- 8 CamelBak Forge Insulated Travel Mug
- 9 SIC Salmon Travel Mug/Bottle
- 10 Ello Ogden Ceramic Travel Mug
- 11 Tips for which travel mug keeps drinks warm the longest
- 12 How does a travel mug keep your drink hot?
- 13 Conclusion
- 14 Like this:
- 15 Related
Thermos Stainless King Travel Tumbler
Thermos certainly is the gang leader in the world of travel mugs. Apart from the Stainless King, many others have received awesome reviews from users.
This one is made of stainless steel double wall that is not only very durable, but is also stain-free and easy to clean. This tumbler has been made for people who care about how they drink their coffee.
It has a capacity of 16 oz (0.5 liters). That is big enough for me, since I fill it up in the morning before leaving home and it keeps the coffee hot to around 1.00 PM.
I will then clean it, fill it up with more coffee and it keeps hot until 6.00 PM. Sometimes, I will forget to drink my coffee because of commitments and as such, by evening, it will still be comfortably, not as hot, to drink.
It keeps ice water cold for up to 18 hours. It fits in all automobile cup holders nicely.
This stainless steel travel mug many features, but the feature that I love most is that when I want to make my chai latte, I will just add hot milk and water, and then hook my tea bag to the hooks that are provided for just that. By the time I get my first sip at work, my tea is already steeped in the tasty color of the tealeaves or whatever herbs I am using.
- Lots of product information online
- Totally spill-proof
- Drinks stay really hot for many hours
- Good tea mug
- Has a stainless steel sipping part
- Fits in a car cup holder
- It is dishwasher-friendly
- Open/close lever might bump your nose
Hydro Flask Travel Mug Double Wall Vacuum
This is unarguably one of the most popular travel coffee mugs in the market out here, but is it the best one of them all when it comes to keeping your tea, coffee or milk hot? It has amazing features.
It is a double wall vacuum insulated water bottle. It is made of stainless steel. It has a beautiful matte finish so that it doesn’t slip from your hand even when you sweat.
Having used this travel mug, I would refer to it as the travel mug for all seasons. The reason for that is that it is designed to keep drinks at their respective temperature, just as when you poured them in.
That means that if you are hiking in summer and you want a cold drink with you, this Hydro Flask travel mug will keep it cold for you, for up to 24 hours. It is one of the best insulated mugs for cold drinks.
If you want to use it for hot drinks, well then, it will keep them hot for you, for up to six hours.
- Comes in many sizes like 12 oz, 16 oz, 20 oz and so on
- All sizes fit in the cup holder of your car
- Has lifetime warranty cover
- Wide mouth allows you to easily put in ice
- Nice matte finishing
- High hygienic standard – drinking part is covered
- High heat or cold retention for a long time
- Made with BPA-free material
- Only good for hot or cold drinks – not good for warm
- Could be a little heat transfer from the lid, but it hardly affects the temperature of your drink
YETI Rambler Stainless Steel Travel Mug
Standing at almost 7 inches high, with a capacity of 20 oz (0.5 liters), engineered with a double wall vacuum, stainless steel and plastic material that are BPA-free and as food grade as they come, able to fit in the cup holder of your car, travel mugs do not come any better than this one. As its name suggests, the YETI Rambler is big in many ways and you will fall in love with it.
You can hold it in your hands for a long time, as it is made with matte finishing which makes it anti-slip and it does not induce sweating. The mouth is wide, about 3½ inches, big enough to slip in as much ice as you want. When drinking your cold drink, this tumbler keeps the ice out of your way.
It will keep your coffee warmer than room temperature, but if you are looking for a tumbler that will keep your beverage piping hot, this is definitely not the deal for you. It has a clear plastic lid and I feel that it lets some heat out. When pouring in your coffee, run the tumbler through hot water first. That will help in heat retention.
- Keeps coffee hot for a few hours
- Keeps drinks cold for many hours
- Dishwasher-safe lid
- Durable thanks to the stainless steel build
- Comes in many sizes from 10 oz to 30 oz
- No sweat finishing ensures your hands stay dry and comfortable
- Great for outdoor activities like camping and hiking
- Heat is lost through the transparent plastic lid
- There are claims of fake YETI tumblers in the market
This double walled vacuum travel mug has a rich history of excellence behind it because for the longest time, Zojirushi has been making blown glass bottles and with time, they extended their product line to include rice cookers as well as this awesome stainless steel travel mug. As they say, their products have simply gotten better with time.
One of the things that you will love about this flask is its big size, at 16 oz (0.5 liters). It is also able to keep your drinks hot for 6 hours and cold for many more.
It is designed with a flip lid that you can open and close with one hand. This makes it a very safe travel mug when driving.
With a non-coated interior, the flask repels stains and there is no danger of coat material leeching into your drink.
- Fits into your car cup holder
- Lid fitted with safety lock to prevent accidents
- Safe design – non-coated interior
- Can keep drinks warm overnight
- Has a nice, ergonomic grasp shape
- Very safe lid
- Totally leak-proof
- Has a small mouth
- Can be hard to clean inside
Contigo AUTOSEAL Transit Travel Mug
The lid can be washed in the dishwasher (top rack), but you will have to hand wash the body. It comes apart easily thus making it easy to clean.
With a capacity of 16 oz, that is about all you need for your mid morning coffee, and then you can refill it again. It will keep your beverage hot for up to six hours.
It can keep your cold drinks at the temperature you poured them in for more than 12 hours. This is a spill proof mug because it has been made with a design, which seals the lid after every sip. This is actually a patented Contigo technology, so you are not likely to find it in other mugs.
- Totally spill-proof
- Safe – BPA-free
- Covered by lifetime guarantee from manufacturer
- Wide, almost 3 inches, good for ice
- Fits in all modern car cup holders
- Really keeps drinks hot, not lukewarm
- Tight lock turning lid is leak proof
- Many people wish it were bigger than just 0.5 liters
- Be a bugger to keep pressing the button as you drink
Stanley Classic Travel Mug
On the side, this mug comes with a label that reads “Stanley Since 1913.” That is a long time, more than a century that this company has been in business. They have an excellent travel mug that will keep your drinks hot for an impressive 9 hours.
It has many other features. For example, it is totally spill-proof, you know, you can fill it up with hot coffee, lock the lid and toss it in your backpack and you are guaranteed there will be no spills.
The Stanley Classic stainless steel travel mug is built for the outdoor adventurer who loves the rugged rough life of the outdoors but at the same time wants to keep touch with home, through a piping hot drink on that fishing expedition.
With a capacity of 20 oz that is big enough for most people. However, there are smaller ones for people who do not want the extra weight.
- Made of food-grade stainless steel
- Lifetime warranty for thermal efficiency, workmanship and materials
- Keeps iced drinks cold for up to 35 hours
- One hand operation – just push a button to open or close lid
- Leak and spill proof
- Fits nicely in a cup holder or a bike cage
- Very affordable
- Dishwasher-friendly plastic parts
- Lid has many small parts that may come apart
- Might start leaking after several months of use
Homitt 30 oz Travel Mug
This hot or cold mug is designed to keep drinks cold for up to 24 hours until the ice totally melts. It can also keep your hot beverages hot for up to 8 hours. If you are holding a road trip where you will drive for a long time, this hot tumbler keeps drinks hot for a long time.
It can fit into any modern car cup holder, but at the same time, it is also good for looping around with your hands since it has a carry loop that you can detach when you do not require it.
This travel mug never sweats and therefore it will not cause a pool of moisture on the table where you place it. It will not burn your hand since there is no heat transfer at all.
When you buy this travel, office or home mug, you will be pleasantly surprised that it has many accompanying accessories that do not affect the price in any way. For example, it comes with two straws for drinking. This means that you do not drink your coffee through a vent hole.
It is also sold with a detachable handle that is heatproof, a lid and a cleaning brush for easier cleaning.
- It is big- 30 oz (1 liter)
- Keeps drinks hot for up to 8 hours
- Keeps drinks cold for up to 24 hours
- Wide mouth makes it easy to put in ice
- Long lasting stainless steel material
- One year warranty and 60-day money back guarantee
- Healthy – made with food-grade plastic and stainless steel parts
- Ice is gone in 24 hours
- It is large, so it is heavy
CamelBak Forge Insulated Travel Mug
With incredible features like a self-sealing cap that ensures there is no spills whatsoever. No matter how many times this travel mug rolls in your backpack, it is not going to spill.
The best thing about the Forge is that it keeps drinks very hot. If you intend to drink your coffee after a few hours, say about four hours, it will be at the same temperature as when you put the beverage in.
Your coffee is not going to be lukewarm. It will be piping hot.
The lid is dishwasher safe. It also does not collect grime, thus it is very safe, and hygienic.
Because it is a self-sealing travel bottle, you have to press the trigger when you are drinking for it to release the drink. The trigger is firm but very responsive. You will almost not notice it.
- Lasts a long time as it is made of stainless steel
- Covered by the CamelBak lifetime guarantee
- Finger carry tag
- Allows small sips only, which is safe for hot drinks
- Keeps drinks really hot
- Has open lock feature to keep lid open to drink continuously
- Fully leak and spill-proof
- Too small sips
- Wish it were bigger, say about 20 oz or more
SIC Salmon Travel Mug/Bottle
While SIC is an acronym for seriously ice cold, if you are looking for which travel mug keeps drinks warm the longest, you will not be disappointed because SIC Salmon keeps your hot coffee piping hot for up to 12 hours.
This is more of a water bottle, but you will also love that it is huge, and therefore it can carry copious amounts of coffee. It has a capacity of 27 oz, which is almost a full liter.
The double wall vacuum construction ensures there is no heat transfer from inside or outside. It also ensures there is no sweating.
Another important feature is the wide mouth, which allows you to put in ice easily. It also makes it easy to clean the travel mug.
Do not forget the lid, I know people who bought this travel mug because of the lid. It is carabiner-styled meaning that it is looped such that you can also hook it to your backpack when you are hiking, backpacking or mountain biking.
Finally, the finishing is also an important consideration. It is powder coated. It is also available in many different colors.
- Fits in car cupholders
- Large – holds plenty of drink
- Can be attached to backpack through the loop on the lid
- Keeps drinks hot for a long time
- Wide color selection – up to 12 colors
- Covered by lifetime warranty
- Can be hard to clean especially the lid
- Might not be entirely spill proof between lid and body
Ello Ogden Ceramic Travel Mug
Back at home, we all drink our tea, hot milk and coffee out of ceramic mug and there is just a very good homely feeling about this. If you are looking for the same experience as you travel, you should try the Ello Ogden ceramic travel mug.
Most people who have used this mug before say that it is incredible, mostly because of the lid that is very easy to clean.
Again, all the parts of this mug can be washed in the dishwasher – top rack.
It is BPA, lead, cadmium, phthalates and PVC free, thus very safe. When you drink, you will love the touch of ceramic on your lips since the sliding lid lets you drink straight from the ceramic.
It has 16 oz capacity.
Unfortunately, if you are looking for a travel mug that will keep your hot beverage piping hot for hours, this is not it.
It will just keep your coffee warm for two hours or so, and then it will be just lukewarm.
- It is ceramic, just like home
- Fits in the car holder
- You can drink with a straw
- Has an anti-slip rubber grip
- Microwave safe
- Very easy to clean thoroughly
- Will not stain
- Coffee doesn’t keep hot for long
- Delicate- all ceramic items are delicate
Tips for which travel mug keeps drinks warm the longest
Do your research. Find information about travel mugs so that you do not buy blindly. Thankfully, we bring you all the information that you need to know about the best travel mugs in this post.
Whatever you do, choose a mug that has the best sealing, leak-proof lid. If you have to pack it in your bag, you want to know that it will not spill and damage your items.
Choose a mug that has safe seals. Some rubber seals can pass their nasty flavor into your coffee.
Choose a well-known brand name. You will be looking for the travel mug with the most reviews.
It should be easy to clean. No one wants to take coffee in a dirty mug.
It should be easy to use even when you are driving. You do not want a mug that will risk your life if you have to use both hands to unscrew it.
It should be able to fit in the cup holders in your car, or in any other car if you are traveling far and you have to lease a vehicle.
Buy what suits your style. There are stainless steel travel mugs, ceramic and plastic ones. Find a mug that will not hold the flavor of the last beverage. It must clean thoroughly.
Do not worry about the price too much. One, it is a travel mug, therefore it is made to withstand the rigors of travel and that makes it a bit costly. Two, it is totally leak-proof and three, it will last a long time. I always say it is better to pay more and get more features than pay less and get fewer features.
It must retain heat for as long as possible. That is why it is a travel mug. Even though your drink might not be piping hot by the time you drink it hours after you leave home, it should be at a comfortable and drinkable temperature.
How does a travel mug keep your drink hot?
Actually, all travel mugs are designed to either keep your drink hot, or cold. This is simple but very effective engineering. Insulated travel mugs are designed with double walls and in between the walls; there is a vacuum because the air is sucked out.
This provides the insulation, which ensures no heat is lost to the outside and no heat can get to your drink from the outside. That is why they are also referred to as travel vacuum flasks.
Then there are travel mugs with handles, and those without. Choose what you may.
To the question of which travel mug keeps drinks warm the longest, these are only ten of the best. You will find that brand names like Thermos, CamelBak and others have many models, some big, some travel. Looking for the best coffee travel mugs 2018 should start here. No matter what your budget is, you will find that there is a travel mug for it in the market. Travel and take your hot coffee with you – kill two birds with one stone.